Monday, October 21, 2013

Trying to get my wheels back...

Where to begin... it's been a brief hiatus.  I've realized that I always have a crap-load of stuff to say... so when I don't actually keep up every day, I lose track of all the things I have to say and I get irritated because then I forget.  I should probably start an "idea list" or something so I don't forget all the undoubtedly brilliant things I can share.

Over the weekend we did a family "hike" up to this place called "Little Zig Zag Falls."  I use the term "hike" very loosely because it's more of a jaunt, or a meander.  It's a REALLY easy walk up a river to some falls.  The river "zig zags" it's way up and it's perfectly long enough. There is lots to look at and keeps their attention, but when it's time to leave, it's quick enough to get out of without too much effort.  The falls really are beautiful and the river is calm enough that the girls could wade in their galoshes and throw rocks and stuff.  We did the same thing last year and the same hike... only we did it a little earlier in the summer so it was a lot warmer.  Saturday was COOOOLD (note my hubby's rad sweatshirt that I was wearing), but it was pretty wonderful.  The girls had a great time and it was nice to get out and enjoy some beautiful fall weather in the Northwest. The SUPER bonus was that when we got there, this lovely older couple was taking their horses out of a trailer for a ride.  The girls both got to get on the horses and sit there.  My lord, we could have stopped there and the trip would have been a complete success.  So... good day.

Then Sunday was sort of our catch up day.  We did the weekly grocery shopping (holy Costco adventure) where I spent as much as a plane ticket to a small island.  Then we spent a little time with a girlfriend helping her with some invitations.  I've been known to throw together a mean "theme" party from time to time.  Sheesh... that's a whole 'nother post, but I do love a good party.  I am so my Mother's daughter.  We completed our weekend with some sausage and onions and sweet potato fries.  OH!  And I did my first "long" run for a while.  I woke up and had a lovely, early morning, foggy, fall run.  I did a fun four miles, which... for those of you that run are probably laughing at.  But being out of the game for a while, it was good to know that my work is paying off and I'm getting my wheels back.  It was really nice.  Actually, this last weekend was the one year anniversary of the first time I ran with my friend's hubby for the Halloween-themed 5K.  It's called "Run Like Hell" and we dressed up as Batman and the Commissioner.  Can you believe he ran the whole time in that complete get-up?  Pretty damn impressive.

Today was a relatively "decent" day considering it was yet another Monday.  My special little fella in my class had a WONDERFUL day, I had a great workout, and got my girls picked up, listened to them laugh playing in the backyard, and had a good pork chop dinner.  It was a good day.  Just for fun, I'll tell you what my workout was today.  Sometimes I get bored at the gym and today I kept it pretty interesting by doing a sort of circuit (kinda').  Yesterday was a pretty solid run, so I tried to do something that was more strength training-based and to continue to work on improving my endurance.
First: 5 rounds of: 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, and 15 squats.
Next: 4 rounds of: Run a quarter mile, then row 500 meters (about 20 minutes total)
Last: 3 rounds of: 10 burpees, 20 situps, 20 toe touches, 10 burpees, and 20 single-arm snatches, 10 on each arm (doesn't that sound like a dirty word? But it's super good for your shoulders.)

I actually kind of hate to admit it, but I've noticed a huge increase in muscle rebound and endurance since starting this whole paleo thing.  I want to just say, I haven't been as diligent as some, but I've been pretty damn good.  Since I've started I've lost 14 pounds, felt MUCH better about my eating choices, and stayed pretty true to eating primarily paleo for the vast majority of the time... INCLUDING only 5 beers total since beginning (and that was at a couple post-work happy hours which are pretty much required for teachers).  That being said...

What went in my belly:
Breakfast: SERIOUSLY good breakfast omelet with avocado and tomato and a side of mixed berries with walnuts and unsweetened coconut.
Lunch: Leftover chicken sausage (so good) and sauteed onions on top of greens with carrots and peppers (I used a mix of dijon and stone ground mustard as my "dressing" today... it was REALLY good) and a grapefruit.
Dinner: Skillet fried pork chops with oven roasted brussel sprouts and butternut squash (CHOMP!!!).
Dessert: Super dark chocolate with sea salt (DOUBLE CHOMP!)

Daily tip:  When I take my girls up to bed, I wash my face, take out my contacts, and brush my teeth.  Then I don't want to eat anything else after they go to bed. So either I'm SERIOUSLY lazy, or I am a genius.  I choose to believe it's the latter.  I just discovered this.  So simple and it's really saved my bacon the last few nights.  I've wanted ice cream.  Lots of it.  Gooey ice cream with stuff to dig for... that's my jam.  But ah well... I've already brushed my teeth and it won't taste right and I don't wanna' brush my teeth again.

ADIOS FRIENDS.  On to Tuesday...

No comments:

Post a Comment