Friday, October 5, 2012

Another week down...

This week has been pretty great.  I am still finding it fairly easy to stick to the eating plan.  I'm hoping I'm not one of those annoying, "No thanks, I don't eat that," people.  I've noticed people taking note and asking a lot of questions at lunch time.  I try not to bring it up much because this is a choice I've made, nobody else.  I don't need to harass anybody with it.  Plus, that's why I started this!  I've just noticed that people have been noticing my food choices and even to the point where one of my co-workers proudly showed me that he was "also eating healthy today."  HA!  I just think it's funny, ya' know?  People have such a diverse and broad idea of what "healthy" really is.  Whether it's about our bodies, our weight, our hair, or even the grass in the back yard... people all think there is a general overall "healthy" meter.  However, who the hell knows what that is?  I mean, seriously this gal at school said that she was happy because she had lost 30-ish pounds (I think) eating nothing but oatmeal for two of her three meals a day.  Then I had to stop and think... man... what a strange thing... that eating oats 14 times a week resulted in not only weight loss, but a general thinking that eating that and only that up until dinner would nourish your body.  She's no dummy, though... I mean she lost the weight and she's keeping it off, so what gives?  I guess I just think about it a lot lately and take notice more than I did before.  I'm definitely NOT judging people's choices, because lord knows I am no food critic, nutritional analyst or anything of the sort.... I just think it's really interesting.  Some people I look at and I'm DUMBFOUNDED how they can appear so healthy and all I ever see them eat are chicken strips with ranch or pasta alfredo.  Like I said, not judging... just in awe.  I just have to think that it must differ that widely from person to person, and if this isn't the thing that keeps me "healthy" then I hope I can find it sooner than later.  For right now, though, THIS feels pretty good.  I feel nourished and not that I want to "bulk up" by any means, but the definition in my arms and shoulders right now is pretty awesome.  I am trying to let go of the fascination with the scale, which is HARD for me because that's all I've ever had to go off of for my progress.  But since I'm so close to where I want to be, I realize that it's possible that things might be shifting within my body and not on the scale.  My first week was so spectacular that I think it got me all fired up about the weight-loss aspect that I started to think that's what this was all about.  What it really is, for me, is about making more conscious decisions about what I'm going to feed my body with. I also see that my girls are growing up in a house where fresh veggies and fruit are the norm.

I want to know that the foods I'm choosing are DOING something to help me function properly.  I know that carrots will help my eyes, proteins will help me build and maintain muscles, and that oranges will help keep me from getting sick.  (On a side note, everyone else in my house has gone through an entire cycle of beginning of the season colds, and I haven't been touched.  Coincidence?) 



Things are not only nourishing me, but they are also freaking delicious.  I realize now that I may have been downplaying how freaking awesome and delicious my breakfast experience is at my house.  My hubs prepares my breakfast for me (all except the almond butter "oatmeal" stuff I like, pictures to follow) and has it set out for when I come down from my showering.  It seriously is somethin' special.  I don't know how people can say they're just "not breakfast people."  Breakfast is an absolute MUST for me or I'll never make it to lunch.  Plus, I just like to start my day like that.  When I come down I make up my breakfast mush (which is WAY better with fresh blueberries than dried apricots, but I wanted you to get the picture here), then I sit down to an extraordinary meal.

Tonight for dinner we used up all the fresh produce from the market last weekend and it was DUH-LISH.  I know this is redundant after yesterday, but I LOVE beets.  They were seriously spectacular.

I hope the weekend is good to you all.  I have girls' day again tomorrow and then maybe another trip to the market.  Finally, we finish the weekend in one of my most favorite ways... we're hosting my local "family" of friends for dinner.  I'm such an incredibly lucky lady.

What went in my belly today?
Breakfast: duh.
Lunch: Leftover shrimp with beets & zucchini.
Snack: FREAKISHLY sweet and delicious pear from the market I stopped at on my way home.  I could hardly wait to get home to chomp it.
Dinner:  Grilled chicken leg quarter, beets, beets, and more beets with zucchini.  Oh, and some sauteed kale.

No comments:

Post a Comment